Tuesday 15 July 2014

{coyotes} Mike Ribeiro discusses buyout as he signs with Predators

TimeLife.com

Breaking Bad / The Walking Dead / Work From Home

NASHVILLE - The Predators continued to lock down the center position, signing pivot Mike Ribeiro to a one-year, $1.05 million contract on Tuesday.

The Arizona Coyotes recently bought out the 35-year-old veteran's four-year, $22 million contract. Much of that decision had to do with "behavioral issues," Coyotes general manager Don Maloney said at the time.

Speaking during a news conference at Bridgestone Arena after the Predators announced his signing, Ribeiro talked about Maloney's comments, said he had addressed his issues and was going to marriage counseling with his wife Tamara.

"I had a chance to really focus on myself and really learn about myself," Ribeiro said. "That's why I'm comfortable. What Mr. Maloney said – it shocked some people, my wife wasn't happy about it. I sat down, thought about it. I'm comfortable with myself now. I'm open with what happened or didn't happen with our marriage issues, and really I think I'm comfortable with it and not trying to hide it."

Ribeiro was a point-per-game player in the past, but more recently his production has been in decline. Last season he had 47 points in 80 games with the Coyotes after posting 49 points in 48 games the previous season with the Washington Capitals.

He conceded that his marriage problems contributed to his production last season.

"I was not committed to my job because of my issues. I just wanted the year to be over so I could go work on them and be a healthy person," Ribeiro said. "I think my head is really clear. I have my family with me right now, and we're ready to move forward."

Predators general manager David Poile intimated that Ribeiro, who is known as a slick-passing center, could work with forward James Neal on the first line. The Predators traded Patric Hornqvist and Nick Spaling to the Pittsburgh Penguins for Neal during the NHL draft last month.

Ribeiro was an NHL All-Star in 2007-08, the season when he set career highs in goals (27), assists (56) and points (83).

Poile said Ribeiro sought out the Predators, not the other way around. He visited the city over the last four days and found a house. The Predators and Ribeiro nailed down the contract late Monday, Poile said.

"For Mike and his family, this was the best fit," Poile said. "For Mike as a hockey player, he thought this was the best opportunity on the ice. For his family, they thought this was the best community for him and his family to make a home."

World War Z (Unrated Cut) / Words With Friends

TimeLife.com TimeLife.com

Entertainment Plaza - TV, Movies, Sports, Music
http://members.shaw.ca/almosthuman99

Babe Of The Month
http://members.shaw.ca/almosthuman99/babeofthemonth.html

Hunk Of The Month
http://members.shaw.ca/almosthuman99/babeofthemonthman.html

0 comments:

Post a Comment