Thursday 11 June 2020

Re: [cactuswings 4260] SoCal Storage Airfields Visit

Hi Chris,

I did all 3 in March 2018 and October 2019 and these are my thoughts.

San Bernadino

We got there too late in 2018 to see much as it was dark half an hour later.  I revisited last year to catch up on what I missed first time round.  It is very frustrating here as most of the stored airliners are parked in the middle of the airport and heat haze makes it very difficult to read any off. It isn't possible to view anything from the southern side of the airport as this is all warehousing. I'd start at  34.094440°, -117.247500° and make your way clockwise to  34.102890°, -117.222950°.  Sadly, you will miss reading off most of the stored stuff.  

Mojave

This is also frustrating to some extent but whatever you see should be able to be tied up from photos on the Internet. The tour was stopped some years ago, so you will have to get what you can from the outside. Last October I took a lot of photos from the dirt track to the east of the airfield and that helped with tying up quite a few of the registrations. The best way to do it is from an overflight and take lots of photos. I see you haven't been there in quite a while, so a lot will have changed. For me, very little had changed between my two visits.The start of the dirt track to the east is at 35.037831°, -118.127264°, try to follow the fence as best you can.  Be careful when exiting the tarmac on the main road onto the dirt track as there is quite a drop onto the dirt.  In between my two visits, I only got three new frames.

Victorville

I have now been here four times and always done it the same way. I start at 34.600790°, -117.362270° which is on the eastern side and make my way clockwise round to the main storage area at 34.614610°, -117.373010°.  Anyone who has been there will agree that it is a difficult route round the airport to get here and you will be advised to use a vehicle that has an off-road capability.  A lot can be read off from the perimeter, although the parking of the aircraft in the main storage area is very dense and quite a lot can go begging. I agree with Dan that the best way to view this place is by overflight and take lots of photos. You will need good camera equipment with image stabilisation. I will do an overflight next time I am there.

Regards,

David Fogwill



On 11 Jun 2020, at 11:06, Dan Raistrick <poolfc2011@gmail.com> wrote:

Flew over Mojave and Victorville in March from Apple Valley as a time saver so just took loads of photos. San Bernardino, which I'll post a list for when I've sorted it out, just had a drive around the outside. Locals may know better but found plenty of places to stop and look across the airfield. Security pulled up near the terminal and had no problem with me carrying on, just said to watch for going near the construction work further round the perimeter road past the old airtanker base.

Probably all change now with the rush to store airframes since the world ended but this is how SBD looked on Sunday 8th March... https://www.flickr.com/photos/danraistrick/albums/72157713424589908

On Thu, Jun 11, 2020 at 10:43 AM 'Chris Watson' via cactuswings <cactus-wings@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Hi David,

Thank you I have checked Socal spotters, nothing really there. However I have joined facebook group, so perhaps I will get some info there, but anything here is also very helpful

On Thursday, 11 June 2020 10:11:32 UTC+1, A300 wrote:
Have you tried www.socalspotters.net

David


-----Original Message-----
From: 'Chris Watson' via cactuswings <cactus...@googlegroups.com>
To: cactuswings <cactus...@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Thu, Jun 11, 2020 05:21 AM
Subject: [cactuswings 4256] SoCal Storage Airfields Visit


Hi Guys,
I am in the process of planning a trip to Southern California for Jan/Feb 2021 and I would like to visit San Bernardino, Victorville and Mojave. On reading the numerous threads I have established the following:
San Bernardino-  not alot to be honest, I have found a couple of videos on Youtube , can anyone tell me the viewing points here
Victorville-  it seems that the favourite is to hire an aircraft from Apple Valley. Do I take that you take pictures and then magnify in on the photo for the reg?  Does the aircraft land and taxi for you to write down regs?. I have seen some Youtube Videos with driving the perimeter with an SUV or a truck seemed to give impressive views.
Mojave- been here once before in 1990 to see the Cv880's, do the tours still run, did it use to be a refueller that take you round in a truck or something. Do they have plane crazy Saturday's still and do they give any access to the storage areas?
Looking forward to your responses.
Cheers
Chris
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "cactuswings" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cactus...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cactus-wings/cc132b7c-5cb0-4386-ac4a-2d4bab1470e0o%40googlegroups.com.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "cactuswings" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cactus-wings+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cactus-wings/aae3d748-813a-421e-a01e-cb4e80599298o%40googlegroups.com.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "cactuswings" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cactus-wings+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cactus-wings/CAF6LM29cAzg0PhXdxh8j3%2BRD8s1Zb3CAvvcB4ckOd_QBJ8E%3DTw%40mail.gmail.com.

0 comments:

Post a Comment