Monday 26 November 2012

Change of Legal Status of Club

First:

When the Mesa ARC was started in 2010, my first action was to obtain a
trade name certificate (DBA) for the Mesa Amateur Radio Club assigned to
myself as the owner to protect the name of the club. In 2011, the board
amended the bylaws to change the club to a "member association";
however, the DBA of "Mesa Amateur Radio Club" was never transferred to
the Mesa Amateur Radio Club Assoc as intended. This paperwork was filed
today with a cost of 10$. Although not yet processed, the club now is
the legal owner of the name Mesa Amateur Radio Club.

Second:

Since the Club legally belong to an individual, namely myself, I did
want to open a treasury account under my personal Social Security Number
(SSN) so we never established a treasury. Today, I also filed for a
Employer Identification Number (EIN) for the Mesa Amateur Radio
Association so that we can open a bank account. My understanding is we
are tax exempt if we have less than 5000$ in the back and less than
5000$ of annual revenue. Now that the Mesa ARC assoc has a EIN, we are
legally able to open a bank account for a treasury. Today I am calling
credit unions to get information so the club can decided tomorrow where
they want to bank. The EIN states we are "a non-profit community
volunteer group".

Third:

According to the IRS website, if I understand this correctly, we can
legally function as a non-profit without a 501(c)3 if we work collect or
have less than 5000$ at any time. Since out charter bares having
employees this is not a matter for concern as well. I do believe we
should file to incorporate and a for a 501(c)3 status within the next
year to two.

Tomorrow at the meeting we can discuss establishment of the treasury
account.

See you all tomorrow at 6:30 in the North Conference Room. The city is
going to open the partition between the two smaller conference rooms for
this meeting so everyone can fit.

--
Regards,

Vinnie Chapman,
N1LQJ

Sent from my Ubuntu Desktop

0 comments:

Post a Comment