Friday 5 October 2012

[cactuswings 1982] Melbourne, FL BAC Canberra ex RAF is it still there ?

As we have briefly seemed to have moved away from the normal Cactus storage areas topics that are normally associated with this web info site, may I ask a question.
 
Is the ex RAF Canberra actually still at Melbourne Fl. (MLB)   I know it still appears right now on Google earth the aircraft being situated just west of the main terminal buildings but what date of this satellite image was taken I cannot tell.           But strangely on a.net there seems to have never been a photo taken of his 'beast'.
 
The reason I ask about 5 years ago I saw it there, (ex RAF serial number to USA N reg not immediately to hand) but I was told then by a fellow 'buff', that a company near by there, were awaiting a US Government approval to try out a 'anti' Hurricane dispersal system. 
 
This ex bomber aircraft with certainly large bomb bay was to fly out to sea and once 'above' the eye, drop tablets that would pass thru the eye thus attempting to absorb large amounts of the moisture within thus hopefully altering the temperature of the storm and thus 'weakening' the hurricane before it 'hit' any land area.    Once the chemical solution touched salt water it would just dissolve.
 
Seeing a mid sized bomber amongst all those Cessna's and Pipers was a bit of a shock.
 
Hope someone can supply an update, and even maybe correct me in my memory for the hurricane reduction 'operation'.    Thanks in advance     Paul
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment